Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 04:28:30 AM
Main Page Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to our new Lone Star Bottleheads Forums.

+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
|-+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
| |-+  Audio Discussions
| | |-+  Fred and line voltage filters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fred and line voltage filters  (Read 3223 times)
jim...
audio enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 14, 2006, 08:23:25 AM »

Hey Fred,
  What was the model of the PURE A/V filter you use? I've forgotten. I assume they aren't too costly used? jim...

ҿҠ jim...
FredT300B
Bottlehead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 02:58:46 PM »

It's the Belkin Pure AV PF-40, their model #AP21300-12. See this link for a picture of the inside:
http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132868/2/39983285

You can see there are four separate filter sections for the hi power section, analog, video, and digital. It's comparable to Monster's $550 product, and the list price is similar. However, the Belkin's actual selling price obviously isn't controlled by Belkin as closely as the Monster's price is controlled by that benevolent and altruistic corporation.

Pricing variations from store to store are unfuckingbelievable. I just checked NexTag, where the high price is $494.10 (Dell Computer) and the lowest is $117.67 (Page Computer).

So many speakers, so little time.
FredT300B
Bottlehead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 03:12:19 PM »

I forgot to inform you that even though you're a paid up member of the Houston Audio Society, whose motto is "It has to look and be expensive to sound good", you can get it from the cheapest seller and put the other money into some expensive snake oil power cords to go between the power filter and your components.  This is permissible because the club's second motto, "Expensive power cords always sound better than cheaper ones" counterbalances your miserliness with the power filter.  Huh

jim...
audio enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 07:18:55 AM »

Thanks Fred,
   I've seen most of the filters in mom and pop electronic parts store and ham fests. The trick is to put them in a pretty box! I've been using some home made stuff and two ($120? each) Belkin filters from a computer store.  Our toys do look good, no? Power cords? I've made a couple and believe the most important thing is good, tight gripping connections. Female and male. jim...

ҿҠ jim...
FredT300B
Bottlehead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 08:26:27 AM »

Here's a DIY option to consider: Many believe the best filter is a balanced power isolation transformer. Problem is the ones in pretty cases start at about $1,500 (OUCH!). Another problem is that the tranformer shields your components from line induced EMI/RFI but it doesn't shield your components' grunge from other components plugged into the same tranformer. The solution is to install filters like the ones in my Belkin or to use more multiple isolation transformers.

Lee Roitberg pointed me toward an Ebay seller who offers toroidal transformers at reasonable prices, so I got two 1KVA trannies for $99/ea plus a nice looking, but not audiosnob-quality case for $80. I plan to mount the trannies in the case and use one for the amp and the other for all the other components. Lee also tells me if I want audiosnob appearance he can source a thick anodized  aluminum front plate, and even have a name silkscreened into it, for a reasonable price.

Picture at http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132868/2/81770801

jim...
audio enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 08:35:08 AM »

Nice looking case. Local or on line purchase? This company (see link) has some nice looking DIY cases too. http://www.par-metal.com/ Click on product information upper left. Then click on the product line for photos. I haven't purchased from them yet. Same company? jim...

ҿҠ jim...
FredT300B
Bottlehead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 08:44:57 AM »

http://stores.ebay.com/Antek-inc

jim...
audio enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 08:51:17 AM »

Yep, same guy. He sneaks his "real" store in the eBay ads by saying... "please visit our Ebay Store or par-metal.com" I emailed him and the cases don't come with the, OMO, cool handles. You have to get those through the store at par-metal.com. Very tempting as I'm about to start several projects. jim... And Fred,  thanks as always.

ҿҠ jim...
Brian Donaldson
audio guy

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 05:13:05 PM »

I know they're not as pretty and audiophool approved, but EI transformers have higher leakage inductance, hence less RF crap can get through them than the pretty toroid donuts. I wood look at Grainger (or some lower cost alternative) for an EI isolation transformer.

My plan in my new house is to run a 220 30A circuit and use an industrial step down 240-120 transformer on a small subpanel. Another plus there is 3 db reduction in random noise from the mains. (Another reason for such power is 2 Aleph clones that idle at 1 KW and an up coming pair of  833 SE amps.)

I thought the filaments were supposed to give a subtle glow, not the plate!
jim...
audio enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 07:56:16 AM »

Found one more place for affordable chassis. http://www.lashen.com/vendors/MAP/Rack_Accessories/rackmount_Chassis.asp

ҿҠ jim...
Skip Pack
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »

I'm not planning to do this here since we may not be in this house for a
long time, but I had a good experience with cheap balanced power in
my last house in California -- following Brian's plans for his new house.
Putting a single 220 circuit (any amperage is probably OK
since 15 amps at a real 230 to 240 is a lot of watts) and then using
several step-down trannys to isolate various classes of devices. I used
500 VA Hammond trannys purchased surplus (around $30 delivered).
I also put a small motor run across the 120 outputs. Definitely helped.

Skip
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length