Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2018, 02:49:26 AM
Main Page Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to our new Lone Star Bottleheads Forums.

+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
|-+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
| |-+  Audio Discussions
| | |-+  What's new with you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What's new with you?  (Read 3495 times)
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »

Hey guy's since it's been a little quit here lately, I thought I might try and drum up a little discussion. Me I finally finished my diy linestage. It's based of a  single ended parafed 6j5 with electra print transformers. The output is balanced 600 ohms and I use Davens attenuators for the volume. I attached a photo of the preamp and power supply, there 2 separate chassis.

I'm also getting my dream speakers. A friend is selling me his altec 604's. He's has 2 different ones. I don't recall the designation but one is the old green ones with the alnico magnets and the other is the later gray ones with the ceramic. The idea is to sell the ceramic magnet one or trade it for one of the green ones. I wish I knew the letter designations but I don't so I will stick with identifying it by color LOL.

Also I have acquired a a Akai gx77 and quite a few R2R tapes, some really good stuff at that. It's all in Tomball at my parents house at the moment but the akai will be ship up here to me soon.

I'm also getting an otari R2R as the akai has a less then stellar DIY reputation, it's a beast to work one.

So if it all goes well I will have a full system ready and waiting by the time my wife and I relocate to Tomball in 2 years.  And I will hopefully host a meet  Grin .

Hope ya'll are having a good summer.

Nick
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 02:05:06 PM »

Well here are the 2 new toys  Grin.

A Otari MX50 and a Revox pr99 MK1.

I now have 1 Altec 604E so I have to find another. But it's a start.

Nick

P.S. sorry for the crappy pic, it was taken with cellphone camera. I will take some better ones latter.
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 07:00:18 PM »

Man it's getting pretty slow around here.

I should hope my fellow Texans would have a little more tube audio drive,,,,,ya a little pun there.

Nick
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 04:28:47 PM »

Yes the site has fallen by the wayside. I'm in the process of finally veneering my horns after three years. Also remodeling the new house and building an electric Porsche 914. As always, there aren't enough hours in the day.
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 08:00:19 PM »

Wow electric 914, that sound tough LOL.  I'm just try'en to keep something going for ya.

Sounds like you have a pretty busy schedule going on Ward.

I have a pair of jensen speakers that need to be re veneered but I just don't know where to begin. What type of wood are you using for the veneer?

Nick
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 11:03:59 AM »

My big horns are being done in sapele pommele. My last project (JBL corner horns) I did in Brazilian rosewood. I like exotic woods. They just have more visual impact for me.
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »

I couldn't agree with you more on the exotic woods. I love the way fine wood looks, and the more pronounce  the grain the better.

So is it a hard task to re veneer something?

Nick
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »

Like most things, it all depends... If the speaker is in decent shape you can just veneer over the top of the original. If it is somewhat rough, it will require some time to level out or repair. Ths could even require stripping the old veneer off and then sanding smooth. All in all, it isn't really hard, just time consuming.
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 11:09:54 AM »

Well I'm thinking about trying it on the Jensen speakers I have. The veneer on them is rough,,real rough so it would have to be stripped. But I would just go plain jane with them. Once I finish my 620a cabinet though, I'm going to use something nice.

Nick
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »

what are the cabinet measurements? I've got some rosewood and cocobolo here.
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »

Well there isn't any right now as I have to design them. The funny thing is I will be back in Texas by the time it look like I will be able to do it. School is taking up to much of my time right now.

Nick
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length