Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2018, 02:50:20 AM
Main Page Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to our new Lone Star Bottleheads Forums.

+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
|-+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
| |-+  Audio Discussions
| | |-+  Reel to Reel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Reel to Reel  (Read 2705 times)
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« on: December 24, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »

I just bought my first real deck, a pioneer rt-1011l. It's my first since I wasn't alive in there heyday well to young to have bought one anyway. I also have a sony tc 353d which needs help.  Is anyones else in the group into reel to reel?

Nick
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 07:25:56 AM »

I have owned as many as three Teac decks at once. I still have one of my X1000R. Reel to reels are great in that you get analog sound without the fragile nature of vinyl. Odds are you can take a 40 year old tape and it will play just as quiet as it did the day it was boxed. You really can't say that for a vinyl record. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE vinyl and listen to it a lot more than tape. R2R has a beauty all its own.
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:47:54 PM »

Hi Wardweb, sorry it took so long to reply.

I have learned that getting into r2r requires something more then money. Both of the decks I have need work of some sort. The pioneer needs a recap which I will hopefully be starting soon. As for the sony I'm not sure if I am going to invest much into it now that I have the pioneer. The sony need new rubber. I might rebuild it and keep it as a spare, it's nice to have two unit's I would think.

Nick
AnalogKid
audio guy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 09:52:16 AM »

If you need pinch rollers google Terry's Rubber Rollers - I don't have the link handy but he can repair or make new rollers for most any deck, BETTER than factory.

I currently have 6 reel to reels, though only 3 are fully functional. My favorite is my Pioneer RT-707, and one of my other decks is basically a parts deck to keep that one alive. The sound from the Pioneer is excellent, and I believe rivals some of the pro gear out there. I also have a Tascam 42B and an Otari 4-track.

nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 03:43:57 PM »

I know about Terry's I just haven't sent the stuff to him yet, money you know. I will probably end up getting all the rubber redone just for safety sake.

AnalogKid
audio guy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »

I understand! I need to send Terry some stuff as well, but the money thing is a major concern right now.

nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »

Ya and I'm currently unemployed so I'm waiting for that to change LOL, hope it will soon. I still have to do the recap on the pioneer too.

I will have to post some pictures when I get her running good.

Nick
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length