Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2018, 02:49:33 AM
Main Page Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to our new Lone Star Bottleheads Forums.

+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
|-+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
| |-+  Audio Discussions
| | |-+  Banana speaker jacks on audio equipment:when first used and by which manufacture
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Banana speaker jacks on audio equipment:when first used and by which manufacture  (Read 1777 times)
Bob Pierpoint
audio guy

View Profile Email
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »

My favorite speaker jacks are the banana or 3 way banana jacks.  While at a church estate sale here in Wichita,Ks (my hometown) I noticed an old receiver on the floor facing the wall.  I couldnt help but notice the red and black banana speaker jacks, eight in total number or enough for A and B on a stereo receiver. I reasoned that if this forlorn audio unit could be purchased cheaply enough. I could cut out the center portion of the back with the jacks and transplant it onto the back of an older receiver replacing the spring style speaker jacks at reasonable cost.  Today was discount day at the sale so I  offered a reduced price and the manager came up with a counter offer which I accepted. When  I got home with itI decided to try hooking it up.  You can imagine my surprise when it was mostly in good operating condition.  It is a Carver stereo receiver model 2000 which I learned was made 1985 to 88.  I was surprised that Bananas were used since  85..BobPierpoint Addition: per an old Radio Shack "New 1974-75"Dictionary of Electronics on page 53 banana jack and banana plug  are both defined as they would be today. Therefore they date back to 1974.  Does anybody have anything to add.Bob Pierpoint
Skip Pack
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 10:05:54 AM »

I remember Bob Fulton criticizing banana jacks at a
talk he gave at a dealer's in about 1977 or so. The
multi-way binding posts were not uncommon then on
upmarket stuff.

Skip
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »

I have owned Carver gear for years and have always liked it. Really good bang for the buck. I still own a pair of Silver 7t mono blocks. I just don' t have a use for them at the moment. Over the years I have owned a m1.5t, TFM-15, TFM-35, A-500x and A-760x.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length