Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 04:14:04 AM
Main Page Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to our new Lone Star Bottleheads Forums.

+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
|-+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
| |-+  Audio Discussions
| | |-+  foobar setup help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: foobar setup help  (Read 3553 times)
Audio_Builder
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« on: September 12, 2007, 02:41:46 PM »

Anyone proficient in foobar2000?
tubes-n-horns
audio enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 08:24:05 PM »

You may get more help here...

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=28

I am looking for a decent player that will play FLAC format, which is what I am ripping my entire CD library. Call me weird, but I really like the WMP 11. I have it where it will play FLAC files and also recognizes the metadata tags. However, it will not display track length and the progress bar is not functional when playing a track. I have searched all over the Internet for a solution. I also like WMP because it will stream the XM Radio channels; but, I have also been having trouble with that as of late.

I tried the highly recommended Winamp. It works OK, but I don't like the way it displays the library. And I especially don't like all the commercial popups that are embedded. It also has ties with AOL, which I totally despise! I am a hands-on kind of guy; I don't need all the bells and whistles that "make our lives easier". I can operate it on my own just fine, thank you! I just want to play music.

So, I am on the lookout for a player that fits my criteria. Let us know how you like foobar2000 when you get it sorted out.

Rick
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 11:05:07 PM »

I run foobar2000 and like it. I also run Meedio that is really cool. I rip everything to FLAC using dBpoweramp. Its the best I have found. If nothing else, its a hell of a lot easier than EAC.
Audio_Builder
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:21:55 PM »

I have riped 300+ cds using EAC as WAV files.  I am trying to find out how to tag a WAV file and display it in foobar.
tubes-n-horns
audio enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:16:18 PM »

I haven't done a LOT of reading on the subject, but from what I understand thus far is that WAV files are not cooperative at all when it comes to tagging. This may not be what you wanted to hear, but you may have been better off to rip to FLAC or other compatable format that can create tags. Again, I am no expert on this subject, so do your research, or maybe others will chime in. You may be able to convert those files to a friendlier format to take advantage of tagging; I don't know, you may have not pulled in the tagging data when ripping to WAV, so your efforts may be lost???

Check this link for a more accurate description than what I have offered:

http://www.id3.org/

I also use dBpoweramp; like Luther said, if nothing else it is much easier than EAC.

Rick
jb
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 03:16:52 PM »

I haven't done a LOT of reading on the subject, but from what I understand thus far is that WAV files are not cooperative at all when it comes to tagging. This may not be what you wanted to hear, but you may have been better off to rip to FLAC or other compatable format that can create tags. Again, I am no expert on this subject, so do your research, or maybe others will chime in.

What are you talking about? Wave files can be tagged anyway you like. Tags can be added, deleted, or edited at any time.
tubes-n-horns
audio enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »

My post clearly stated that I am no expert on the subject; perhaps you are. Do you have a solution for Audio_Builder's dilemma?

Rick
Audio_Builder
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »

Thank you all for your help.

The id3 site mentions that you can not tag a wav file.  What I was hoping to achieve is a jpg in the wav folder that foobar can display when a cd is selected.

Thanks
Lee
jb
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 08:54:36 PM »

My post clearly stated that I am no expert on the subject; perhaps you are. Do you have a solution for Audio_Builder's dilemma?

The fact that you, or anyone else, are unable to tag a wave file in a useful way is not the fault of wave files but of the crappy software you are trying to use. Like everything else in life, if you want it done right you have to do it yourself. That should be no surprise to Lonestar Bottleheads? Y’all DIY, do you not?

jb
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 07:01:16 AM »

What I was hoping to achieve is a jpg in the wav folder that foobar can display when a cd is selected.

A wave file is an instance of a RIFF file with three chunks: “info”, “fmt”, and “data”. The “info” chunk is optional and, if present, contains the wave file tags. There are dozens of predefined tags. If none are appropriate for what you want, make up your own.

Write a foobar output plugin that outputs a wave file that includes the tags you want. With it you could add, remove, or edit tags in existing wave files or wave files created from tracks read from a CD.

Write a foobar input plugin that recognizes your wave file tags and displays the appropriate info and/or image as it reads the sample data.

FredT300B
Bottlehead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 08:45:44 AM »

I would be interested in a Foobar demo and discussion at one of our LSB meetings. It could be done as a side meeting in another room for those who are interested.

So many speakers, so little time.
jb
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 12:39:51 PM »

What I was hoping to achieve is a jpg in the wav folder that foobar can display when a cd is selected.

On the other hand, if your objective is to display album art, you should consider using Winamp. Several 3rd party skins already display album art in some fashion and more/better integrated support is promised in future releases. See: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=276834
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=277062
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=276841

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length