Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:44:16 AM
Main Page Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to our new Lone Star Bottleheads Forums.

+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
|-+  Lone Star Bottleheads Forums
| |-+  Audio Discussions
| | |-+  preference of projects
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: preference of projects  (Read 3628 times)
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« on: July 01, 2007, 04:27:40 PM »

I was wondering what is the more comon diy projects here tube amps or speakers?

Nick
FredT300B
Bottlehead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 05:00:12 PM »

I see more DIY amps than speakers at out meetings. Anybody can build an amp, but you need to have something special to build speakers, a weak mind and a table saw.  Grin

So many speakers, so little time.
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 07:12:09 AM »

I think it really depends on the member. Some of our members like Fred, build speakers all the time. While others like myself build amps; descrete solid state, chip and tube. Build what interests you. Don't feel you have to know much to start. Learning is part of the fun. 
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 05:05:52 PM »

I know it's fun we all have fun torturing our selfs Grin especially when things go wrong. Ever so quite hum thats just barley audible but you know it's there. My first thing is to get my amp finished and then the speakers. The only thing I keep on thinking about is I have no real speakers to test the amp with Embarrassed. I bought the dummy load to run the amp into then to feed to my dist. analyser and my spectrum analyzer. Oh well I guess I will be watching my music but at least I will know when it looks good Grin.

I have a pair of Great plains audio model 604-8H-II on my wish list though.

Nick
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 09:58:14 AM »

Nick I'm pretty sure Fred can hook you up with some speakers.  I know he is down to only a dozen or so pairs, but he likes to help other members on the road to audio nirvana. Shoot him an email and see what he has and or what fits your budget.
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 03:33:59 PM »

So he sell's the ones he is finished with?

Nick
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 03:49:33 PM »

Sorry for the double post. Wardsweb I'm thinking tough I want to build my own just for the gratification. But I may pick his brain abit. The 604's are on my list but I am going to try some eminence coaxial 15" driver's with 2 6" drivers as mid's. Build them on a horizontal plain with 1 6" on each side of the coax driver. I just need all those tools Fred has Grin Grin oh ya and the nice work shop. My girlfriend has found a house in Tomball,TX she loves 1.25 acres and a 2.5 car garage = nice work shop for me Grin Grin

Nick
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »

Fred is a wealth of information and may be able to even help with some custom router work for baffle boards and such. It doesn't hurt to ask. You really need to make it to one of the Bottlehead meets to check out some stuff and talk with Fred.
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 02:28:43 PM »

Wardsweb just remimber I'm currnetly living in Quincy Mass Cry so it's a bit of a jont but I will definitely be there once I move back to Houston. As for now I will be using a cabinent making shop here in Quincy, MA 

Are most of the meeting in Austin or Houston?

Nick
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 08:29:14 PM »

Mass huh? My bad. The meeting rotate in the triangle of Houston, San Antonio and Dallas. So, it could include Austin, Lockhart, Buda, Round Rock, McKinney, etc...
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 02:41:57 PM »

Ya I know kinda sucks but living here makes me appreciate Texas that much more. But luckly theres a diyer audio guy that lives down the street from me I meet on diyaudio.com and he's a analog engineer with quite a few years of experence. He used to own his own company that made really nice tube amp.

Here's his website  www.kta-hifi.net

So I guess I lucked out  Grin considering I am a newbey to the audio side of tube amps.

How long has this site been around Wardsweb just curious?

Nick

Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 05:25:54 PM »

How long has this site been around Wardsweb just curious?

Nick
I have been involved since late 2002. I built this site a few years after that. I started by hosting pictures on my personal website. We grew to the point to where I felt we deserved our own site, so I maintain this one. Its a personal hobby of mine, so don't mind footing the bill. Its cheaper than a year of golf tee times, a hunting lease or a scuba trip to Fiji.
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 09:54:14 PM »

lol we all have expensive habbit's don't we Cheesy Cheesy. Well I just hope yall are still there when I move back to Houston. I guess you really enjoy this to huh, it is a fun obsession isn't it.
Wardsweb
Administrator
Bottlehead

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 10:45:32 PM »

It is the one I keep coming back to. I sold my Suzuki Hayabusa and all my dive equipment (enough to put three divers in the water, tanks and all) after back surgery (work related). Now audio and our Miata are my two passions. It is fun, keeps me out of trouble and my wife doesn't have to wonder where I am. I'm always at home either building, buying, trading, or listening to some form of audio.
nickh
audio enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 04:30:28 PM »

I'm definetely learning that, My first tube amp project and I have already broke 1 grand in parts 700 bucks alone on 2 output transformers. I still have parts to buy for it but luckly it's inexpensive parts misc. caps and resistors. The tought part is going to be deciding on a chassis.

Nick
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length